This carrot cake is loaded with essential minerals and nutrients, and it is probably the best carrot cake we have ever had.
One of the many great things about carrots, they are the richest source of beta- carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential for tissue growth and repair, thyroid function and iron mobilisation.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin.
- Beat the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla thoroughly. Add carrots, walnuts, raisins and the rest of the dry ingredients and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting beat together all the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla and orange zest and decorate the top of your carrot cake.
- 175 g Light, soft Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 110 g Chopped Walnuts
- 225 g Grated Carrots
- 100 g Raisins
- 175 g Eureka Mills Stoneground Whole Meal Flour/White Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 3 g Salt
- 175 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 75 g Soft Cheese
- 50 g Softened Butter
- ½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 orange; use only the grated zest
- 110 g Icing Sugar